Conference on Thermal Energy Forum 2016 was organized in the context of legislation that puts more emphasis on the importance of energy efficiency (Article 14 of Directive Energy Efficiency European Commission encourages the use of high efficiency cogeneration and efficient district heating in centralized systems).
The legislation is a response to general concerns related to global warming, aimed at lowering CO2 emissions and protect the environment. As a member of the European Union, Romania must implement the Energy Efficiency Directive.
In particular way, Thermal Energy Forum discusses, from debates organized by the problems facing the heating systems currently existing in Romania, since the European directive that says the priority high efficiency cogeneration solution.
The present situation of heating in Romania
Invited to the conference, the National Regulatory Authority for Public Utilities Community Services (ANRSC), presented the evolution of heating in the last 26 years, the current problems facing central heating systems, with various proposals for improvement. According to the data ANRSC 1989 until now, the number localitarilor connected to the heating system greatly decreased. If in 1989, 315 localities were connected to SACET (representing over 12% of all settlements exist nationwide), currently their number reached 64 (with a share of only 2%).
|Localităţi existente la nivel naţional||2.583||3.180||3.180||3.180||3.180||3.180||3.180||3180|
|Localităţi ieşite din sistem||0||194||5||6||24||8||8||6|
Programs to improve energy efficiency
During the Conference Thermal Energy Forum 2016 were exposed legislative provisions that support the performing investments in district heating system, namely programs for energy efficiency improvements destination UATM sites (administrative units), developed by MDRAP that it offers the possibility of co-financing the investments made by funding from the state budget and European funds::
- National Program DH 2006 – 2020 Warmth and comfort (by application of GD no. 462/2006):
- share of co-financing from the state budget 70%; the contribution of local governments – 30%
- reduction of technological losses in transmission and distribution networks by 15%
- pollutant emissions from individual sources use
- unlocking the potential of renewable resources to meet the demand re heat depending on consumption needs
- realization of thermal substations in buildings
- The national program on increasing the energy performance of housing blocks and thermal rehabilitation of residential buildings (regulated by GEO 18/2009):
- share of co-financing 50% of the state budget; 30% of the local budget; 20% of own funds of owners associations or other legally
- reduce energy consumption for heating apartments
- reducing greenhouse gas emissions
- upgrading of urban aspect
Steps are being taken to amend the implementing Regulation so that these programs provide funds for projects’ individual metering and distribution horizontally in apartment buildings. ”
It was also emphasized the idea (both by representatives of public administration and by representatives of manufacturers and suppliers of thermal energy in a centralized system) that: the service of heat supply (production, transport, distribution or supply) is public utility whether the service is held at the administrative units or insured in the private system.
Individual metering – Veolia project description
In the conference was presented a successful model of a public – private partnership developed in Iasi where, under a contract concluded for 20 years between Veolia and local public authority is to realize a program of individual metering and distribution horizontal energy heat in a centralized system.
What does the horizontal distribution of individual metering?
- Complete replacement of old inner tubes “vertical”, common to all the apartments in the block, with new installations, pre-insulated pipes, “horizontal”
- Full independence against neighbors: residents can start their warmth whenever they want, whether their neighbors will consume heating or not
- Installed individual meters for each apartment on the staircase at the door if necessary, may cease supplying heating only debtors, tenants without good payers to be affected
- Energy consumption is measured accurately (in Gcal, not in abstract units, as if allocators)
- The temperature is regulated by the lessee in each room, depending on the comfort and the financial strength
- Temperature of the hot water is guaranteed in each apartment
A similar project was conducted at Brasov in 2012, in partnership Bepco – Tetkron and implemented on a pilot block of the street. Mircea cel Batran.
The effect of this pilot project was stopped disconnecting households. From testimonials conducted among consumers, after a cold season, resulting like effects:
- reducing heating costs
- increased comfort
- reduce pollution
The project was not continued because until today have not completed negotiations with the BERD.